Wednesday 22 April 2020

UK TRIP 2019 - WHARRAM PERCY.

Heading out from Scarborough one day while house-sitting for DD we decided to head south to Wharram Percy, a deserted medieval village I'd read about.  It sure didn't disappoint, being so peaceful & serene.  We weren't quite alone, but basically had it all to ourselves & lots of photos were taken.
Lets start............
I'm not going to bombard you with signboards, but will start with this one about the village.  Click on it to make larger to read.
 Looking towards the barn & some of the archaeological diggings they've been doing for many a                                                                                     year.
                                                                        The other side.
                                 Looking across to the church.  More digging in the foreground.
The next two boards I also found very interesting, so thought I'd pop them on anyway.

                                              Again you may need to click on them to read.
                                    I loved the old stonework & shapes of the mullein windows.
Wandering further on from the churchyard the path meandered down to the old mill ponds.
                                          Across a timber boardwalk and we came out here..............
                                            A beautiful still body of water with reflections.
Just pass the pond, we came across this sign.  Tempting to go walking, but we kept exploring around the village on another trail looking back across farmland.
Can't forget another tree photo. See where two main branches have joined forces again further up.  Sorry, but I love my trees.
                           The church ruins from the higher trail & the barn, photo below.

                                     Heading back to the car park, through a tunnel of trees.
                                                 Wild flowers with a beautiful butterfly.
           Just before you get to the car park, there are far reaching views across farmland to the hills.
This is somewhere I could visit many times and never tire of it.  After this we travelled on towards Thornton-le-Dale ( a post for next week), stopping on the A169 between Old Malton & Pickering, at a farmshop for our lunch.  Very nice.
OK, enough from me and although we are in lockdown, I don't seem to be able to settle into a routine, and seem to keep faffing around.  Doing an on-line shop takes me ages & does my head in.  I'd like to make more headway in the garden, but it seems to be either "very" windy, raining or inclement, threatening to rain.  We are managing a walk most days & exploring streets we've never walked before & as we live in a very hilly town, it's certainly be strenuous. 
OK, I;ll be back on Friday for the Scavenger Hunt, so stay safe, take care and huggles from Susan.

17 comments:

  1. You certainly get about when you're in the UK. I do like to visit places which aren't crowded, it make the experience so much more enjoyable. Looking forward to your post about Thornton Le Dale, such a pretty village.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do try to do lots, as we are only ever there for short period of time and especially in our beloved Yorkshire.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful place to visit and again I've never heard of this deserted medieval village. It's difficult to have a routine in these uncertain times, just do what you're doing and try not to feel depressed and hope we get back to normality soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I'll admit to being a bit nerdy about finding out about odd & secret places & have a wealth of books on UK, some of which go back to my childhood, inspired by my English grandmother & a great grandmother who, though born in Australia, loved all things English.

      Delete
  3. It's a wonderful place isn't it? Like you we had it mostly to ourselves, just a couple of walkers with backpacks who were walking along a trail nearby and dropped off for a look. It's certainly somewhere I'd like to visit again one day. I seem to be doing a lot of faffing about too. Take care:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know that someone else has been there & enjoyed the serenity of it. Buildings of such an age tend to blow me away a bit, as we've nothing anywhere near that old here.

      Delete
  4. I've always always wanted to live somewhere in the UK. I've been a fan of all things English for as long as I can remember - the history, the buildings, the countryside, the customs - all of it. So many layers of humans living, warring and loving. We'd spoken about working towards making that dream a reality now that the kids are all gone. This morning though, I suddenly realised that I might not get there for a very long time now with international flights etc on hold. It was a bit disheartening to say the least. Thanks for sharing your beautiful memories Susan - I clicked on all the pics to make them larger ;)
    And I know what you mean about faffing about - me too! Cant settle and it doesn't help that we are not even in our own house!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evi & so you are another Anglophile! I've still got lot lots to catch up on from our trip last year & other photos of earlier trips pop up from time to time, amongst my ramblings. Settling must be so hard when you aren't in your own place.

      Delete
    2. An Anglophile, yes thats me! I was going to call myself that but thought it may have been a bit ostentatious haha!! Looking forward to seeing/reading more about your trips.

      Delete
  5. It looks lovely. This is another place on my list! One of many places I've yet to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, though I thought you may have already been here. Great for nature & ever so quiet, like a secret valley.

      Delete
  6. A fabulous place to visit, I enjoyed seeing your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've written this place down, been to Pickering and Scarborough but not here. Thank you.
    Please, don't get me started on online shopping .... very stressful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was worth visiting Julie & I know Scarborough as best I can being an Ozzie & been to Pickering too some years back, to catch the steam train for a ride north over the moors. That was special. Growing up in Sydney in the 50/60s, we still had steam trains from country areas & I still love them.

      Delete
  8. Looks a gorgeous place to visit. I had never heard of it. Still haven't made the brownies, must plan them in for next week. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. It probably wouldn't be too far for a day out for you(when we are back to normal) & I think Hugo on his lead would be OK. There is no formal reception area, just a gate with sign onto a path through a field. Hope you enjoy the brownies... Stay safe.

      Delete